First Baptist of Liberty
First Baptist Church was established in 1843 and was the first organized African American church in Liberty, Missouri. The Pastor, Rev. William Brown was a young man less than twenty years of age. Prior to 1843, church members worshipped in the Clay County old courthouse located on what is known today as the historic Liberty “Town Square”.
During the 1890’s, the property adjoining the church was purchased and a parsonage was built. The old church was destroyed by fire and our present church was built in 1915 during the pastorate of Rev. J.L. Dudley.
Our current Pastor, Rev. Tony P. Johnson, is the 18th minister of the church. He was called to First Baptist in January, of 2004. As a proactive leader, he serves on the Liberty Ministerial Alliance, The Missouri State Convention Board of Director’s and the Baptist Ministers Union of Kansas City, Missouri. Rev. Johnson has initiated several new ministries for the church: Evangelism, Food Pantry, Children’s Church, Outreach, Women’s and Men’s Ministry.
Today, First Baptist celebrates it’s 175th Anniversary and continues to be a lantern for the unsaved in the Liberty Community. It is a place where everyone is welcome to fellowship, pray, and worship God in spirit and in truth.